Okeechobee Family Practice
1713 US Hwy 441 N, Suite E
Okeechobee, FL 34972
States and Countries Dr. Heller’s Patients are From:
Patients come from all over the country and abroad for an evaluation of the BPD and other disorders of Biological Unhappiness. For more information please click onto “Instructions for Office.”
The map below shows the states patients have come from to see Dr. Heller as a patient (colored in green):
For patients coming to Okeechobee for “Biological Unhappiness” evaluation: including the BPD (Borderline Personality Disorder):
1) Please understand that this is a regular medical practice, and while the necessary time will be spent, it will likely be interrupted due to the need to see many other patients. The winter season (December through April) is extremely busy, the best time to visit is May through November.
2) The cost is approximately $300-$400 for the first visit, $100-$175 for subsequent ones. (There may be additional charges for laboratory tests and an EKG if a stimulant is needed for ADHD treatment.)
3) One or two family members are encouraged to be in the room with the patient. It is acceptable to tape record the session(s). If language is a problem, please provide a concerned and competent translator. Some of the time will be spent reading.
4) There will be many forms to fill out, please follow the directions completely. You may get these forms in advance to save time.
5) With rare exception, the patient will only need to be seen initially, one or two days later, and then approximately 1 week later. Some may benefit from an additional week, particularly those with attention deficit disorder. Some patients want the educational opportunity to be seen daily, most want to be seen only for the most important issues.
6) Please understand that it’s unusual for an individual to have ONLY the BPD. The other diagnoses also need to be made and treated as part of the treatment plan.
7) It would be wise to see therapist Mary Sales a few times while visiting here in Okeechobee. She is located 1.5 hours away in Palm Beach. (561) 686-9110.
8) The best places to stay are the Holiday Inn Express (863) 357-3529 or Pier II Motel (873) 763-8003 or the Flamingo Motel (863) 763-6100 — although very inexpensive lodging is also available. Restaurant choices are limited. Okeechobee is less than two hours away from the ocean and all Orlando area attractions. The closest airports are West Palm Beach (1.5 hours away) and Orlando (2 hours away).
9) A summary of the diagnoses and what should be done will be given to you, and copies of your notes will be made available for you. This plan can be followed by your health care providers at home.
(2000 September 26)
Patient Sign In
Ask the Doctor
Dr. Heller will regularly answer questions regarding the Borderline Personality Disorder and other biological causes of unhappiness. Please search, look at the FAQ and the archives PRIOR to submitting a question.
Unfortunately, Dr. Heller is not able to answer every question, but will answer questions that can be helpful to many readers. Please be concise. Long questions cannot be answered.
Please email your question to Dr. Heller at: BUaskDoc@Yahoo.com